The university remains open and is actively engaged in maintaining the safest possible learning and work environment.
Click here for the latest university COVID-19 updates.
For details about Student Affairs operations, see the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated June 10, 2020 at 8:20 a.m.
Mountaineer Emergency Fund CARES Act Supplement
The Mountaineer Emergency Fund CARES Act Supplement was created out of the Department of Education Grant through the CARES Act that was received by App State. Students who incur expenses as a result of the campus disruption from COVID-19 may apply for financial assistance.
Funds distributed will generally not exceed $1,500.00. The number of students who can be served by the Mountaineer Emergency Fund CARES Act Supplement is subject to the availability of funds.
Student must meet the following minimum Department of Education criteria to be eligible:
- If you are enrolled as a degree-seeking, main campus (not online) student in at least one summer 2020 course, and/or fall 2020 course.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement. Read about these requirements here.
- Meet federal financial aid eligibility requirements.
- Incurred expenses caused by the disruption to our campus operations.
If you do not meet these eligibility requirements, we encourage you to apply for funding through the Mountaineer Emergency Fund (see above).
Types of expenses covered include, but are not limited to:
- Course materials (books and other essential academic expenses)
- Health care (prescriptions or costs related to medical or mental health care and/or their associated travel)
- Child care
- Essential personal items
- Essential utilities
Types of expenses not covered include, but are not limited to:
- Non-essential utilities (e.g. cable), household, or furniture costs
- Parking tickets, court or lawyer fees, and other fines
- Costs for entertainment, and recreation
- Non-emergency travel
- Non-essential expenses
Students seeking financial assistance through the Mountaineer Emergency Fund or the Mountaineer Emergency Fund CARES Act Supplement should submit their request via the online form.
We have seen a high volume of requests for assistance, and are working to fundraise for and process them as quickly as possible. Once your request has been submitted, the Office of the Dean of Students will review the submitted information. Requests will be processed as quickly as possible, and an email notification will be sent to you regarding your application eligibility and status.
Direct Deposit and Timing of Disbursement
If you are approved, the quickest way to receive your funding is to sign up for direct deposit in the Touchnet Billing and Payment Center using th instructions here.
If direct deposit is not completed, you will recieve a check via US Postal Service. Be sure to confirm your "refund address" inside the Appalnet Portal. If a check goes to an outdated address, it can take multiple weeks to have a check reissued.
Please know that funds are not transferred to your account immediately and can take 3-5 business days to process once approved. If you are approved, funds may appear to decrease your current outstanding bill with App State. This is a temporary accounting effect of processing your grant funds through Student Accounts, and the funding will be refunded directly to you in the next refund cycle in 3-5 business days.