Skip to content
Tab thru menu links. Enter key for site map

FAQ's for Students

Q: What do I do if I need help finding resources on campus and in the community?

A: You should schedule an appointment with a Case Manager in the Office of the Dean of Students or visit our website for resource information.


Q: I've noticed a change in my overall motivation and I am finding it difficult to stay on top of my academics. What kind of support is available to me?

A: Mild fluctuations in mood are common, but if you have found that these changes have impacted your ability to be successful it could be time to seek support. Counseling and Psychological Services can assist you with identifying and processing your current situation. For more details visit their website. You may also seek the support of WE CARE, which is a peer education group dedicated to the health and well-being of students. You can find more information on their website. A Case Manager in the Office of the Dean of Students can also help you in understanding resources and options available to you.


Q: What should I do if I need to miss class?

A: If you plan to be absent from class first review the class syllabus to familiarize yourself with the course attendance policy and then contact your professor via email and inform them of your date and reason for absence. If you are going to be absent for medical reasons, due to a death in the family, or military service you may complete a Class Absence Notification request and the Office of the Dean of Students can inform your professor of your absence. This form can be accessed here. Be sure to provide the appropriate documentation when submitting your request for a Class Absence Notification. Requests are not guranteed approval.


Q: How can I best communicate with my professors if I am struggling?

A: If you are struggling academically the best thing you can do is speak with your professor. Initiating a conversation can occur via email, telephone, or in person. It is recommended that students attempt to meet with the professor in person or virtually via zoom as to allow for clear communication.


Q: I think I might fail a class, what are my options?

A: If you are in danger of failing a class your first course of action is to speak with the professor and inquire about your current standing in the course and ask about any options for making up missed work or any opportunities for extra credit. If you are unable to complete the requirements of the course prior to the end of the semester you may speak with your professor and request an incomplete in the course. Incompletes are provided at the discretion of individual faculty members and Case Management cannot override their decision. If you are unable to receive an incomplete, you have the option to utilize one of your four course repeats and grade replacements. To replace your grade you must retake the course and the grade you receive for your second attempt will replace the original grade you received.


Q: I don't have enough money for food, what should I do?

A: Visit the Mountaineer Food Hub & Free Store which is a campus food pantry network hosted by the Office of Sustainability and has multiple locations all over campus.  Off Campus food options can be found through the Watauga Food Council which provides a real-time listing for groceries and meal options in the community.


Q: I would like to give someone access to my student records. How do I do that?

A: If you are wanting a Case Manager to share your information with others you will be asked to complete a Release of Information form. This form identifies who you would like us to share information with, what information you would like shared, and for what period of time we are able to share information. If you would like to grant someone access to other records, you will want to follow steps for access via the Office of the Registrar.


Q: When requesting a Class Absence Notification, what qualifies as a personal/family event? 

A: Emergencies or extenuating circumstances which involve the student and immediate family members. Immediate family is defined as spouse, parents, siblings, children, grandparents, and grandchildren. Case Management must be able to establish a relationship between the student and the immediate family member in order to advocate for a Class Absence Notification.

In cases of family illness, the student must provide documentation on official letterhead, dated by a licensed medical or mental health provider. The letter should include the dates of hospitalization, the student's anticipated return date, and verification that the student was present with the immediate family member. 

In the event of a loss of an immediate family member, the student must provide an obituary (online version or hard copy), memorial service pamphlet, or other documentation. Such documentation must include the date of the immediate family member's passing, date of funeral/memorial service, and the city and state where the services were held.

In cases where a student has been impacted by a natural disaster or is involved in a situation of interpersonal violence, the student will need to meet with a Case Manager in the Office of the Dean of Students unless the student already has documentation, or a form of verification that the incident(s) occurred (ex: insurance, police report, protective orders, verification through Red Cross, etc.) This meeting should take place prior to submitting a request form.


Q: When requesting a Class Absence Notification, what qualifies as a military orders? 

A: Official military orders must be signed and dated by a commanding officer/designee and include dates of departure and return. Such documentation may include, but is not limited to: Title 10 Active Military Orders, Title 32 Training Orders, or DD-214. The Office of the Dean of Students recognizes that official military documentation may not be provided to a student upon receipt of orders. A letter from the Office of Student Veteran Services will be accepted in these situations. 


Q: What are examples of occurrences that do not qualify for a Class Absence Notification? 

A: Non-urgent doctor orders, final exams, job interviews/fairs, non-emergency medical conditions, vacations, weddings, and more.


Academic Affairs Attendance Policy