The university remains open, with emergency management protocols activated and operational modifications and precautions in place. Read the latest updates.

Student Affairs COVID-19 Response.

FAQ's for Faculty and Staff

Q: What do I do if a student stops coming to class and/or responding to outreach attempts?

A: Refer the student to the Early Intervention Team. Visit their website for details.


Q: What do I do if a student tells me that they have been the victim of interpersonal violence?

A: As a responsible employee you are required to share any disclosure of interpersonal violence with Appalachian's Title IX Coordinator. Sharing of this information may be made via an online form.

Case Management is available to the student for support and can meet with them to discuss resources and options available to them. Case Management is also able to speak with you to provide guidance on how to best support the student.


Q: What do I do if a student shares that they are feeling suicidal?

A: If the concern is emergent, contact University Police or local law enforcement. To determine whether you need to contact University Police, determine if the student is having current suicidal thoughts. To do this, you can say something like, "Have you been thinking of killing yourself?" If the students responds positively, continue to ask questions to determine if they have a plan ("Have you thought about how you would end your life?"), as well as if they have the means to do so ("Do you have access to a gun?"). If the student responds positively to these questions, call University Police. If you feel that you need to consult with someone in Case Management, call the office at (828)262-8284 or Counseling and Psychological Services at (828)262-3180.

If the concern is not immediate, encourage the student to visit Counseling and Psychological Services during walk in hours. Share your concern with staff in the Office of the Dean of Students to ensure follow up and support for the student.

To learn more about how to talk to students who are having suicidal thoughts complete the online suicide prevention training offered through Wellness and Prevention.


Q: What do I do if a student requests approved absences for "personal reasons"?

A: As a faculty member you have sole discretion regarding excused class absences. Faculty are encouraged to follow absence policies as defined in their course syllabus to determine the impact an absence may have on the course. The ultimate decision regarding absences and the resulting influence those absences may have on grade or course progression is at the discretion of the instructor in consideration of policies outlined in course syllabi.

The Office of the Dean of Students is able to provide a Class Absence Notice when a student is absent from class for emeregency and/or extenuating circumstances.