Skip to content
Tab thru menu links. Enter key for site map

FAQ's for Parents and Family

Q: What do I do if I am concerned about the immediate safety of my student?

A: If you have an immediate safety concern contact University Police at (828)262-8000 or local law enforcement by dialing 911.


Q: What do I do if I have concerns about my student?

A: You can share your concern with a Case Manager by completing the online Care & Concern Referral form or call (828)262-8284. A Case Manager can contact your student and offer support and resources to assist in student success. If you have specific concerns please visit our resource page for resource specific information.


Q: What support can the University provide to a student who is struggling with mental health concerns?

A: If a student is struggling with a mental health concern they may visit Counseling and Psychological Services located in the Miles Annas Student Support building. Students may present during walk in hours and speak with a counselor to determine what services will best meet their mental health needs. During the current Covid-19 pandemic, students are encouraged to call Counseling and Psychological Services at (828)262-3180 to initiate counseling services instead of utilizing walk in services. Students may also contact the counselor on call after hours by calling (828)262-3180. Students who would like additional support and resources may also meet with a Case Manager to discuss other mental health support resources available.


Q: If my student is experiencing an emergency and I need to come to Boone, what hotel accommodations are available within the Boone area?

A: There are several lodging options available in Boone. The office of Parent and Family Services has provided a list of hotels with contact information for ease of access and booking. Parent and Family Services - Hotel Accommodations are listed by proximity to campus to provide realistic expectations of your travel time.


Q: Can I have access to my students records at Appalachian State?

A: Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA), Appalachian State University is restricted in releasing student information without the consent of the student. It provides the student a right to inspect their records and restrict the disclosure of those records. Further information about FERPA is available on the U.S. Department of Education FERPA website.

It should be understood that, at the post-secondary level, parents do not have automatic access to the students education records. Access may be provided, under the following circumstances:

  1. The student can provide access in AppalNET using the Parent Portal consent process.
  2. Individual employees may decline to provide requested information if they determine that disclosure would be detrimental to the student-institution relationship or impede efficient and effective University operations.
  3. For questions or problems related to access, contact the Registrars Office at (828)262-2050.


Q: What do I do if my student needs to be absent from class?

A: If your student will be missing class for medical reasons, a death in the family, or military service they may complete a Class Absence Notification request via this online form.